Located at the corner of Columbus Avenue and North 30th Street, the graceful neo-gothic tower of St. Alban’s Episcopal Church has stood for nearly seventy years as a symbol of faith, worship, and service. With its carillon of thirty-six bells, this strong tower has represented the values of St. Alban’s itself: beauty in worship, boldness in service, and an ever-present witness to the community of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Every Sunday, the bells in the tower ring out treasured hymns as worshipers pour out of the church’s great brass doors to “go forth in peace to love and serve the Lord.”
But seventy years ago, there was no tower. No bells. Not even a St. Alban’s Church.
In 2016, we are celebrating the 70th anniversary of the founding of St. Alban’s. Our first congregational meeting was March 15, 1946, and our first church service was on Palm Sunday, April 14 of that same year.
Finally, read some of the letters St. Alban’s received from around the world on the occasion of our 70th Anniversary:
The Rt. Rev. Dena Harrison, Suffragan Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas
The Rt. Rev. C. Andrew Doyle, IX Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas
Mayor Malcom Duncan, Mayor of Waco
President George H. W. Bush, 41st President of the United States of America